Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Six Geese a Laying

What do geese lay? Eggs. Biiiiiig stretch on this one people, I know.

So since goose eggs are not something most of us are familiar with eating, or buying I went with the standard chicken egg.
By the way.... I hate eggs. I hate cracking them. I hate the smell of them. I hate cooking them. I really hate eating them. The thought actually makes me gag... so does the idea of cracking them, because even though I try really hard to avoid it, I always get eggs on my hands. *gag* OK.  My husband makes the breakfast in this house. I have no idea how to make a fried, scrambled or poached egg.

What in the heck do you make with eggs when you HAAAAATE eggs? Good question. Not quiche. Not custard. Breakfast casserole? Yes.

Now this is a recipe that is all over the Internet. I got it from a friend, but I've seen a pretty close recipe on the Bob Evans site too. 

What's the difference between all those recipes and mine? I HATE eggs. So mine doesn't taste like eggs.... and it's not mushy gooey awfulness. It's fluffy in the middle, crisp on top and if you come to my house to eat it, it's probably stuck to the pan... I never remember to grease it.  Ever.

So the players today? Milk, eggs, bread, cheese, breakfast sausage, dry mustard.



OH!  And some kind of non-stick spray! (not pictured, because, well.... I forgot it. heh)

8 slices toasted bread - cut into cubes
4-5 eggs
1/3 cup of milk
dash of dry mustard
package of sausage crumbled and fried
1 cup old cheddar cheese grated (I just use a mini food processor thing... it's magical!)

SO toast the bread a little to dry it out, fry and crumble up the breakfast sausage (don't use the maple, apple what the heck over, just get the original - and if you can only find the ones in the casing,  just remove the casing!) and drain it.
Chop the bread into cubes. Lay out half the bread in the dish.... realize you forgot to spray it, dump out the bread and SPRAY the dish.  Sprinkle in 1/3 of the cheese and sprinkle in the dry mustard ( I use maybe 1/4 tsp... I take two pinches and sprinkle it over). Spread in the cooked sausage next and top with the remaining bread and cheese.  Whisk the milk and eggs together and pour over everything. (If you are making this for Christmas morning, or the next morning for any other reason do not pour in the eggs and milk until right before you cook it it makes it mushy and gross if it sits in there all night.... in my opinion).


Put into a preheated oven on 350 and cook for about 30 minutes. If you have refrigerated it overnight make it more like 45-60 minutes.  When the cheese is all melted and its not slimy eggy in the middle it's good to go. It's going to be moist... but not eggy.  



 Serve it up with some fruit.... and for special occasions you could toss in some cinnamon rolls.



It smells great and tastes really good. Even if you HATE eggs... and it kind of looks like dog food... hmm.  In my house daddy goes to check for Santa and preheats the oven. When we get through the stockings the casserole goes in the oven and by the time we are done with gifts it's time to eat. Fuss free. Looks really good now, doesn't it?  ;)

(When did this become a cooking site? Tomorrow is seven swans a swimming... and it's a craft! No... not another sewn bird... but something you could possibly do with kids!)


No comments: