Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nest

I came across this cute idea to make little nests out of chow mien noodles and marshmallows on Our Adventures in Home Improvement the other day. Unfortunately it stuck in my head, and the next thing I knew I was smushing the sticky goodness into muffin tins to make 24 of them for the Small Misters kindergarten class.



I am not sure if there is a trick to keep from burning your fingers off, but they are pretty adorable, right?

I'm so glad I am just dropping them off and not sticking around to witness them all eat the eggs and toss the nest... or to see the sugar hit 24 tiny bodies at the same time. *snicker*


I think my kid made that cute little bunny treat holder in the background... I'm not sure. It came home in his schoolbag and I said "Did you make this? It's so cute!" and he said "I know! pshew pewpew" and continued on fighting evil or imaginary bad guys of some sort. Boys. Total head scratcher.

The recipe (which I doubled to make 24 nests) is very simple:
4 cups chow mien noodles
1/4 cup butter
2 cups mini marshmallows
I also added a tiny splash of vanilla.

Melt the butter and marshmallows over medium heat until melted, stir in the chow mien noodles - muster the courage to handle hot marshmallow and stuff it into the muffin tins so it (hopefully) looks like a nest.
Easy!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Flipping adorable. I can't tell you how much I love everything about this...the nests...the little speckled eggs...

Way to go, mama!

Love, Kel

Nikki said...

What Kel said! Super cute. I would like a webcam shot into the sugar hitting those kids, HA!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your blog. A fellow Canadian, yeah! I don't feel so lonely now. Those "nests" are so, so cute!! I'm still new at this blogging thing.

I just became your newest follower. Would love to have you drop by if you get a chance!

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Amy, they came out great! I'm so glad you tried them and sure the kindergarten class loved them. :)

Happy Easter!
Pam

Chickie said...

Oh my gosh! I love these! I'm sticking this one back for future Super Baby.

Amy K @ Chestnut Tree Lane said...

Thanks for the lovely comments!

-and thanks for the great idea, Pam!