Monday, May 2, 2011

I'd like to buy an "E", please.

Kelly here!  Writing to you from the (still!) frozen tundra.  Not even kidding.  I ran errands with my youngest today and there were flakes in the air. 

In other news, I had my annual garage sale last week and despite the cold and the lingering snow flurries...we did awesome.  I run this sale with my good friend each year and though it's a ton of work and we get some crazies...the outcome this year was FAR beyond my expectations.  It's part of the city-wide sales at the end of April each year and each year we get the same...a day of crap weather and a day of sunshine.  We can both say we have never had snow before.  This year I was thankful for: HOT coffee, my patio heater that became my garage heater & a hot shower at the end of the day...followed by a big glass of red wine. The crap weather day never fails to be our best.  At one point I had a line of six people waiting to buy our junk.  My husband is so happy the "garage sale pile" is totally gone from the storage room in the basement and I cleaned every inch of the garage to prepare for the annual event.  All I was left with was a couple of boxes of stuff and that was dropped off at the Goodwill this morning. So, the outcome was a few more dollars than expected in my craft fund, a very clean garage, major de-cluttering and getting to spend some much-needed quality time with a very good friend.  Thank you, Sarah! 

The clean garage will tie into something I am working on later this week...stay tuned!  I'm pretty excited.  Or, as my youngest says "I'm berry me-cited!" 

I wandered aimlessly around Michael's yesterday (Alone! Yay!) with a gift card from my birthday.  I had a few things in mind that I "needed."  A frame, something for my new little kitchen table to hold napkins, salt and pepper and still look cute and a fun pot for a table I painted to sit on my front steps should spring ever arrive.  I also wanted a little craft to work on while I watched my Sunday night shows.  I have mentioned before that I love decorating with letters.  I found some fun little E's in the wood aisle.  So, I walked over to paper (which was 4 for $1, by the way!) and picked out some cute prints to cover it.  Yes, I know how to do more than cover objects in paper.  You just wait.  I will be able to prove it in a future posting. 

PS.  The radio just told me it was the coldest May 2nd in the Twin Cities since 1909.  Come on.

I traced my first E onto a pretty print...


I traced my next E & then I busted out my Modge Podge and made sure that paper wasn't going anywhere...




Want to know what I turned these pretty little "E's" into? 

Magnets. 




The inside of the white E was making me twitchy (too white) so I added some dark purple paper along the edges.  All I did was glue some magnets to the back.  Should you want to do this too, make sure you buy some heavy duty magnets.  I was testing mine through the packaging in the store.  I let the glue dry overnight.



That frame I was looking for?  See...more letters!


My sister Therese had this idea and a couple of years ago we all made something similar for my mom for Mother's Day.  It's me and my lovely sisters: Erin, Therese & Laura.  I saved a set of photos for myself.  I have been meaning to make a copy for my home. 

Love. 

Love. Love. Love. 

I am hanging it above the steps leading to the family room.  Don't forget Mother's Day is this Sunday!  Maybe I gave you an idea for a gift?  Shout out to my mom for being so loving, hard-working and talented.  I hope to someday be a fraction of the person she is.  And to my mother-in-law for loving me like one of her own.  She did an awesome job raising her son to work hard for his family & keep me laughing. 

I'll be back this week with something else to share :)  Maybe I will have better weather to report.  In the meantime, thanks for stopping by and looking!  Enjoy! 

Kelly

1 comment:

Amy K @ Chestnut Tree Lane said...

Awesome ideas for Mothers Day, Kel!
Thanks!!