Thursday, November 18, 2010

Three French Hens

This one came to me quickly. I'm  feeling pretty clever about it, I have to admit.  Admittedly I also have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised at how well it came out!

Are you ready?


Chicken Cordon Bleu... casserole. Did anyone else hear Julia Child rolling in her grave? ;o) Poor woman taught us all about french cuisine and we turn it into trash casserole. tsk tsk. Oh well - it's delicious.

So here is how that went:

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into pieces
1 egg
3/4 cup of breadcrumbs (more or less... and I used italian seasoned)
1/2 can of cream of whatever (I'm starting to think  all tastes the same anyhow... but I used cream of broccoli... )
1/4 cup of Gruyere (or Swiss - and really the amount is to your preference, I find Gruyere quite strong so I played it safe)
4 slices of deli ham.
3/4 cup milk

So chop the chicken, whisk the egg - dip the chopped chicken in the egg and then into the breadcrumbs and right into a frying pan with a little oil until it is browned.



Drain the cooked chicken on paper towels and then dump into a lightly greased casserole dish.
Slice the ham into roughly 1/2 inch strips and throw them in the dish and top with the cheese.
Mix the cream of whatever with the milk and pour over top. Then (if you like) you can top with more breadcrumbs or even stuffing.



Into the oven for about 30minutes. Take it out when it's all bubbly casserole fabulousness.



We had it with carrots and snow peas - it's not the healthiest meal, but it's fast... and it's made in your kitchen, that's a win-win for my house.

Enjoy the three french hens casserole!



No comments: